September recs: DSMP fantasy AUs
Sep. 27th, 2026 07:50 pmFor September, have some DSMP (+1 OSMP) fantasy AU recs.
they say you know it when you know it and I know by
im_always_stressed
4.5k, Phil/Techno, medieval-ish fantasy AU
Summary: Sapnap grinned at him, a gleam of teeth in the shadow of his helmet. “You know, if you just surrender I’ll make it quick,” he offered, continuing to move around Techno. His grin grew, mocking. “Might not even kill you, just—y’know.” He gestured with the point of his blade, secure in his full set of armour and properly-weighted shield.
If he turned his head Techno knew he would see Phil to the side of the royal box, hands tied and surrounded by guards. Techno wasn’t looking away from his opponent though. He’d made his decision about five minutes ago; he’d rather die on his feet than watch his friend face the headsman. Techno grinned back, the amusement of a dire situation rising in him. “I’m not surrenderin’ a trial by combat, buddy.” His tone got a bit dryer. “Besides, didn’t the king say I wasn’t walkin’ away from this?”
OR: Technoblade has been in love with his best friend for a year, and he's having a bad day.
Why I like it: Phil is a scholar in this but it's ok he still kills people. Ahem. Classic near-death-experience h/c resolving mutual pining, very nicely done.
Seals Beneath The Ice by
NegativePeanutHoarder
2.9k, Phil&Techno, hybrid AU
Summary: By the time he finally does manage to realize something's wrong, he's almost too petrified to move, floating just below the surface and thrumming with terror at the cold silence of the Antarctic, one that seemed so welcoming before but that is now marred by an endless, dangerous stillness, the sort of stillness that accompanies an apex predator.
'It's probably just Techno.' Phil weakly tells himself. Techno got in with me, probably. 'I'm going to turn around and see Techno right behind me.'
But this silence isn't Techno's silence, and Phil realizes exactly why that is when he turns around and comes face to face with the cold black eyes of a leopard seal.
------
Or: OP saw a penguin irl for the first time today and wrote an emerald duo fic about it
Why I like it: Excellent reaction to seeing an animal for the first time irl, just saying. Very nice h/c.
you say you're no good (but you're good to me) by
im_always_stressed
5k, Phil & Techno, hybrid AU
Summary: It was rarely good when Phil got called into the overseer’s office, but it was usually fewer people to handle, at least. Easier to have to please his owner and the man’s guests than to be passed around the guardhouse again, or to be used as entertainment for whatever group of miners had pleased their bosses best this week. If he navigated things carefully and was lucky, sometimes after he had done his job he got fed tidbits of fancy food—dishes made with spices, or vegetables that hadn’t been cooked to an indistinguishable pulp, or real meat—or got to sit on a cushion in a corner. When he limped into the room, it was with what passed for hope, nowadays, glowing in Phil’s chest.
There was a piglin hybrid there, a tall and muscled man with an enchanted greataxe on his back. He had scars that spoke of a life of violence across his face, and his hands on his weapons were large and blunt. He looked angry already.
“—we don’t have the funds to pay you this week,” the overseer was saying, tone unconcerned. “But we’ve come up with an alternative. The bird’s market value is worth about what we owed you, so we’ll just give it to you and call it even.”
OR: Phil is given to a new owner. He doesn't expect it to go well.
Why I like it: More very nice h/c, this time with bonus misunderstandings around ownership and the expectations that might come with that.
oh my, what big teeth you have by
Freyfall
10.4k, Ranboo & Technoblade, D&D AU
Summary: “Wait, hold on, Ranboo, stop,” Technoblade says, amidst the sounds of magic firing and wood splintering that make Ranboo even antsier to get down from the hayloft. “You think I’m a thrall?”
Ranboo opens and closes his mouth. “You, um, yes? He could have you, like, mind controlled, or…”
“Bruh.” Technoblade lifts a hand to his mouth and pulls on his upper lip with two fingers, high enough to reveal his gums - and a long, sharp upper canine. “You've gotta get better eyesight.”
Why I like it: Ranboo and Tubbo as D&D adventurers! Featuring Phil and Techno as powerful vampires and a hunt that goes not as expected. This was a lot of fun, great D&D atmosphere.
Light in the Storm by
TheSparrowWrites
4.2k, Niki&Techno, spooky lighthouse keeper AU
Summary: Niki is a lighthouse keeper with a sea-faring best friend that has the temperament of a stray cat. But something has been more off about Techno than usual...
Why I like it: Lovely ghost story.
Wild Things, Brought to Line by Anonymous (Origins SMP)
5.1k, Phil & Tommy, hybrids AU
Summary:
Philza is about to duck his head back to his knees when the kid speaks again.
"Who're you, then?" He—he nearly demands it, loud and brash. Gods above, when was the last time Philza heard any hybrid be brash?
He shouldn't answer. He shouldn't encourage this.
He does anyway, because he's a fool.
"I'm nobody, mate," says Philza, tongue heavy with resignation, "same as you."
The kid's breath catches. "I'm not nobody," he snaps. "I'm -"
"Don't tell me your name," Philza hisses.
For one night, two winged things share a cage. And then comes the after.
Why I like it: Calling this a hybrids AU is only insofar correct as that is the premise of the SMP, but it also fits very well with the h/c-focus of this list.
they say you know it when you know it and I know by
4.5k, Phil/Techno, medieval-ish fantasy AU
Summary: Sapnap grinned at him, a gleam of teeth in the shadow of his helmet. “You know, if you just surrender I’ll make it quick,” he offered, continuing to move around Techno. His grin grew, mocking. “Might not even kill you, just—y’know.” He gestured with the point of his blade, secure in his full set of armour and properly-weighted shield.
If he turned his head Techno knew he would see Phil to the side of the royal box, hands tied and surrounded by guards. Techno wasn’t looking away from his opponent though. He’d made his decision about five minutes ago; he’d rather die on his feet than watch his friend face the headsman. Techno grinned back, the amusement of a dire situation rising in him. “I’m not surrenderin’ a trial by combat, buddy.” His tone got a bit dryer. “Besides, didn’t the king say I wasn’t walkin’ away from this?”
OR: Technoblade has been in love with his best friend for a year, and he's having a bad day.
Why I like it: Phil is a scholar in this but it's ok he still kills people. Ahem. Classic near-death-experience h/c resolving mutual pining, very nicely done.
Seals Beneath The Ice by
2.9k, Phil&Techno, hybrid AU
Summary: By the time he finally does manage to realize something's wrong, he's almost too petrified to move, floating just below the surface and thrumming with terror at the cold silence of the Antarctic, one that seemed so welcoming before but that is now marred by an endless, dangerous stillness, the sort of stillness that accompanies an apex predator.
'It's probably just Techno.' Phil weakly tells himself. Techno got in with me, probably. 'I'm going to turn around and see Techno right behind me.'
But this silence isn't Techno's silence, and Phil realizes exactly why that is when he turns around and comes face to face with the cold black eyes of a leopard seal.
------
Or: OP saw a penguin irl for the first time today and wrote an emerald duo fic about it
Why I like it: Excellent reaction to seeing an animal for the first time irl, just saying. Very nice h/c.
you say you're no good (but you're good to me) by
5k, Phil & Techno, hybrid AU
Summary: It was rarely good when Phil got called into the overseer’s office, but it was usually fewer people to handle, at least. Easier to have to please his owner and the man’s guests than to be passed around the guardhouse again, or to be used as entertainment for whatever group of miners had pleased their bosses best this week. If he navigated things carefully and was lucky, sometimes after he had done his job he got fed tidbits of fancy food—dishes made with spices, or vegetables that hadn’t been cooked to an indistinguishable pulp, or real meat—or got to sit on a cushion in a corner. When he limped into the room, it was with what passed for hope, nowadays, glowing in Phil’s chest.
There was a piglin hybrid there, a tall and muscled man with an enchanted greataxe on his back. He had scars that spoke of a life of violence across his face, and his hands on his weapons were large and blunt. He looked angry already.
“—we don’t have the funds to pay you this week,” the overseer was saying, tone unconcerned. “But we’ve come up with an alternative. The bird’s market value is worth about what we owed you, so we’ll just give it to you and call it even.”
OR: Phil is given to a new owner. He doesn't expect it to go well.
Why I like it: More very nice h/c, this time with bonus misunderstandings around ownership and the expectations that might come with that.
oh my, what big teeth you have by
10.4k, Ranboo & Technoblade, D&D AU
Summary: “Wait, hold on, Ranboo, stop,” Technoblade says, amidst the sounds of magic firing and wood splintering that make Ranboo even antsier to get down from the hayloft. “You think I’m a thrall?”
Ranboo opens and closes his mouth. “You, um, yes? He could have you, like, mind controlled, or…”
“Bruh.” Technoblade lifts a hand to his mouth and pulls on his upper lip with two fingers, high enough to reveal his gums - and a long, sharp upper canine. “You've gotta get better eyesight.”
Why I like it: Ranboo and Tubbo as D&D adventurers! Featuring Phil and Techno as powerful vampires and a hunt that goes not as expected. This was a lot of fun, great D&D atmosphere.
Light in the Storm by
4.2k, Niki&Techno, spooky lighthouse keeper AU
Summary: Niki is a lighthouse keeper with a sea-faring best friend that has the temperament of a stray cat. But something has been more off about Techno than usual...
Why I like it: Lovely ghost story.
Wild Things, Brought to Line by Anonymous (Origins SMP)
5.1k, Phil & Tommy, hybrids AU
Summary:
Philza is about to duck his head back to his knees when the kid speaks again.
"Who're you, then?" He—he nearly demands it, loud and brash. Gods above, when was the last time Philza heard any hybrid be brash?
He shouldn't answer. He shouldn't encourage this.
He does anyway, because he's a fool.
"I'm nobody, mate," says Philza, tongue heavy with resignation, "same as you."
The kid's breath catches. "I'm not nobody," he snaps. "I'm -"
"Don't tell me your name," Philza hisses.
For one night, two winged things share a cage. And then comes the after.
Why I like it: Calling this a hybrids AU is only insofar correct as that is the premise of the SMP, but it also fits very well with the h/c-focus of this list.